Last year I picked up some driftwood from a little cove in South Devon. One of the pieces looked like a bird’s head so I have used the driftwood to create a simple sculpture, stuck together with wood glue on a plinth made from scrap wood. It was quite hard to get the driftwood to stay put where I wanted it to be, but it came together over several days as I let the glue dry. We saw lots of cormorants flying over where we stayed, so that’s what I’ve gone for with this, albeit with a lot of artistic license!
My intention was to apply some ‘textile’ flowers and seaweed but actually changed my mind as they looked too quirky. Below you can see that I made them from circles of vintage map. I like the way they look, but not for this project. Instead, for the photograph, I’ve just dressed it with some dry plant material. It needs something, perhaps being displayed close to some plants.