Xpandaprint

DSC05278

Several years ago I made this piece, using a kunin felt substitute called efco polyester felt, which I believe is a German product. I still have some left – in black and white – and have attempted to look it up and see as to its availability. I have found some pre-cut shapes and some coloured sheets, but nothing that seems to compare with the thickness and weight of the product I was sold five years ago, but I have included a shot of the label below in case anyone would like to follow up on this idea.

DSC05225

I took a large piece of the felt, in white, and placed it under the stencil I made of my recent mosaic design. In the picture, the acetate stencil can be clearly seen as the paint previously used on it makes it stand out against the white felt background. I have anchored it in place with some masking tape.

DSC05226

Through the stencil I have added a good layer of Xpandaprint, using a plastic glue spreader to apply it. This is a large piece so I used the entire jar. You can also see where I joined two pieces of felt together to make a base big enough for the whole stencil – I just butted the edges up together and joined them with fabric glue.

When the Xpandaprint was dry I ironed over it (using parchment paper) to make it puff up. I think you can use a heat gun on Xpandaprint when it is still wet, but I didn’t want to use it at this stage as I didn’t want to start melting the felt.

DSC05245

On the top photograph you can see that I stamped seaweed images on to the felt backing. At that time I then chose to machine around each seaweed frond in white cotton before I melted back the felt. With the mosaic piece I decided the puffed pieces were far too intricate and I’m not even sure the stitching added to the resist qualities of the shapes. When finally used the heat gun I just got some gentle erosion in between all the pieces of Xpandaprint stones.

So this mosaic piece has no stitching, apart from me applying the felt background to some pelmet vilene by stitching all the way around the outside edge. I then used a soldering iron to cut the excess felt away. Below you can see the cut away edge, with the pelmet vilene underneath stuck to an old canvas picture that happened to be the right size.

DSC05258

The only thing to do after this was paint the whole thing – puffed up design, vilene and the edges of the canvas picture. I used acrylic paints, trying to used faded colours to resemble stone, whilst picking out the design. Below is the whole piece and then a close up detail. I’m not entirely happy with the colours but I can still continue to add more paint until I get the desired effect.

DSC05269

DSC05272

 

 

 

 


2 thoughts on “Xpandaprint

  1. Great idea Elaine, I was only thinking of trying to get some expandaprint. Hopefully I can track some down.
    Please keep blogging!

    Like

  2. The Xpandaprint is available from Art Van Go Lesley, although the problem is that it’s a high postage charge just for one small item. Best to make a list of all the products you need and then put the order in together to combine the charge.

    Thanks for checking in!

    Elaine

    Like

Leave a Reply to Elaine Archer Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s